I am certain you are receiving countless updates regarding COVID-19, and that you may have concerns regarding your attendance or other adverse impacts the pandemic may force upon the Applegate Open 2020.
Currently, we are going ahead with our plans to hold the event as scheduled. That said, we too are following the news and the government’s response and guidelines as they develop, and we believe we should know a lot more in the next month as more testing is done and we see how the virus is spreading. We hope to gain a better understanding of the risk to the pilots and volunteers who will be attending our event.
In the mid-April time frame we expect to be able to let you know with some certainty that the event will go forward, be cancelled or possibly be rescheduled. For those of you who have already paid and are concerned about event fees, please know, if we have to cancel we will be issuing refunds less our bank’s credit card processing fees of $15.
Hopefully the situation will not be as dire as some have been predicting and we can go ahead with the event as scheduled.
Event Organizer, Applegate Open 2020
Here’s a short update on Applegate Open, June 13-20, 2020.
The sanctioning application was submitted on September 24th. Things are moving along smoothly. I’m happy to report that Eric Reed and John Russell are planning on returning as Meet Director and Safety Director. Kari Castle is also planning on returning for the SuperClinic and we are expecting Ken Hudonjorgenson to join her.
One big change this year is that the event will have a new Event Organizer. Terri Stewart, RVHPA’s president, will be taking over for Dan and her husband Bon (yes Bon-its not a typo) will be taking over for Mary Beth as volunteer coordinator. . This is something that Mary Beth and I have been wanting—Some well qualified people taking over the event that are young enough to keep it going long term. Maybe they can break the Haley’s record run of 15 years with the Rat Race.
We’ll still be around helping out in this transition year and beyond. Dan will be handling most of the admin work leading up to the event and Mary Beth will be recruiting volunteers. Entering our 70’s we want more time for flying, a new grandchild, and traveling than we were able to do for the last couple of years. This change will make that possible.
There are still some details to work out with LongSword Vineyards and we will be looking at the number of fields planned to be going into CBD Hemp cultivation in 2020 later this fall. More CBD hemp fields and lack of landing areas that could threaten the event.
But for now all in all things are looking good for Applegate Open 2020.
Dan and Mary Beth Wells
Just a short update and thank you….
Thanks to all who participated in the event this year.
It was a lot of work with 172 pilots competing in the races or attending the clinic plus another 35 or more volunteers helping. Mary Beth and I were very happy with the way things went overall . Eight days of flying. Generally fast retrieves for the pilots. And best of all, no serious injuries. Now if we could just do something about all those pesky CBD hemp grows and all the dirt blowing at the HQ tent.
Believe it or not we are already looking at 2020. We plan on submitting a sanctioning application to USHPA for June 13-20, 2020. So mark your calendars.
Hopefully we will see many of you back next year.
Dan and Mary Beth Wells
Happy Memorial Day everyone and thanks to those of you who
Just three weeks till the first day of racing. Over the last month there have been a few additions and a few subtractions but overall the Open and Sprint races have stayed pretty much on target of 160 pilots total for both races. The SuperClinic is now full with 20 participants. Pilot ID numbers have been assigned for those who have confirmed their registration with a payment.
I’m still holding spots for foreign pilots and we could probably take a few more U.S. pilots in the Sprint and Open races. Check out the pilot pages to see your pilot ID number who your competition is.
Just in case you have looked at the registrations and given
We’ve had a number of pilots on the waiting lists since we
hit our initial target of 160 pilots total confirmed for the Sprint and Open
races a while back. As a result we have
decided to allow a few more pilots to enter the races.
The pilots on the waiting list have been notified and given
a chance to confirm a slot with a payment so now I’m announcing the availability
to all. Here’s the link to see who’s
flying in the events and slots still available: https://wingsoverapplegate.org/pilots/ You can use the pull down to see the
If you have applied and are on the waiting list or you have not
applied and are now thinking about it you still have a chance. Just follow the menus to apply and/or pay.
If you are thinking about it don’t delay. Late registration starts and fees go up May
It looks like we are going to fill up this year.
I have adjusted the split between the Open and Sprint races based on the relative number of applicants. We will keep the total of both races at 160 pilots to make sure we can get everyone off the hill when conditions are less than ideal.
The Sprint Race has 59 pilots confirmed out of 74 who have applied for the 65 available slots. 6 more payment confirmations and the race is full.
The Open Race has 90 pilots confirmed out of the 104 who have applied for the 95 available slots. Because of FAI sanctioning requirements we can only confirm foreign pilots for those last 5 slots until the end of May. U.S. pilots who apply are being put on a waiting list. If there are any slots left after May 31 they will go to the first pilots who confirm with a payment.
The SuperClinic has 6 of the 14 pilots who applied confirmed for the 20 available slots.
I’ve ordered a bigger tent!
I have just released the last available slots for the Open Race for U.S. pilots. There are still spots for foreign and Canadian pilots, however.
When those U.S. Pilot slots are taken there will be no Open
Race slots available unless you are a foreign pilot per your CIVL registration.
All that said I do have some Open Race slots that I am holding
back for nationally ranked U.S. pilots who have not yet applied and been
confirmed with a payment. If you fit in
that category please email me after you apply and I will give you payment
instructions if you qualify.
If not all the foreign pilot slots are filled by May 31,
there is a chance a few more unranked U.S. pilots to enter the Open Race.
We still have plenty of slots available for the Sprint Race
and the SuperClinic.
We currently have 143
pilots who have signed up for the three events and 110 pilots who have
confirmed their attendance with a payment.
The Sprint Race and the SuperClinic have plenty of positions open. The Open Race, however, is bumping the limit even with 10 positions recently approved to be added.
The Open race is still accepting applications
but only waiting list payments are allowed for U.S. pilots as we are required
to hold slots open for foreign pilots till June 1. Pilots on the waiting
list will be notified when/if they are accepted or given a full refund.
Canadian and foreign
pilots still have slots available to confirm with a payment in all events. I’ll
send an update as the status changes.