Just a reminder to let you know that registration opens on March 1, 2021 and we are working hard on planning for the 2021 event even with all the concerns about COVID.
Nothing is final yet but here is what we are currently planning to reduce COVD risks:
- Expect COVID protocols for social distancing, face coverings, and hand washing to be in effect for protection of all. Pilots may have to sign a COVID risk waiver at sign in.
- Mandatory pilot meetings will be done online via Zoom ahead of the event. Pilots must attend one of these meetings. There will be no in-person meetings before the event.
- Pilots and volunteers will need to show proof of completed vaccination at least 10 days prior to the event or provide documentation of a negative test result within 72 hours of the sign in.
- There will be no evening “learning sessions”
- The school busses that take pilots to launch will have reduced capacity due to COVID precautions. Pilots and their gear will be transported to launch in the busses in shifts. SuperClinic first, followed by Race pilots, and finally Sprint pilots.
- Daily task briefings will be done separately for Sprint and Race pilots. Race pilots will brief on launch. Sprint pilots will brief BEFORE riding up to launch. Race pilots will meet at HQ for the ride up to launch. Sprint pilots will meet at a field adjacent to LongSword Vineyard for their task briefing and the ride up to launch.
- Waypoints must be downloaded from the internet. Scorers will not load them to your device
- Track logs will be uploaded via the internet. Scorers will not upload tracks from your device for you.
- Super Clinic retrieves will be as in previous years with dedicated retrieve crew.
- The event will offer retrieves for pilots who choose to participate. Pilots may opt out of the event organized retrieve if they have concerns about closer contact with other pilots in the retrieve vehicles.
- “Apres vol” food and drink as well as the awards dinner and presentation will be at Wells Land with some concessions to COVID and social distancing.
We’re looking forward to the event and seeing all of you. Questions or suggestions–just call or email one of us.
The Applegate Open Team